Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: If you were in charge....

  1. #1
    Inactive Member shuffar's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    163
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    what would you do?

    Is there a specific doll you would introduce?
    Would you just focus on outfits, accessories and furniture? Is there a story you want to see made? Would your bring back any specific retired items?

    Feel free to get as specific or as general as you'd like. Like general storylines or dream dresses (maybe even a link to a similar historical real dress).

    Now that the speculation on Elizabeth is over, and its not starting yet (really) for the next mystery doll, I'm bored and my mind is racing for some AG fantasy!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member shuffar's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    163
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Though I'm not as disappointed as some of you are about the direction AG is going since Mattel took over, if I were in charge I would try to focus again on the reading. I know AG has a huge library. I would focus more than one spread to this. I would also go back to capturing moments of girls reading with their dolls for the cover of the catalogs.

    I would also cut down on the number of repeat catlogs, maybe even go down to quarterly or bimonthly.

    I would create a collectors book of everything Pleasant Company/American Girl has ever made, in a beautiful art book manner.

    I would may more attention to Josefina and bring back her items that have been retired.

    I woould focus on Ruthie as the next Friends Doll. And I love the idea someone had about a little car for Kit and Ruthie's transportation (though they wouldn't be able to drive it) so maybe a treehouse instead of transportation.

    I would reinstate our relationship Hallmark, I love the ornaments and I was on my AG haitus when they were released.

    I always wanted to see a girl from the 20s, but the Flapper Costume probably fits my desires (since I really don't know any historical children stuff from that time period-just the stereotypical speakeasys, gangsters and flappers).

    I would create an adult club/forum that has direct contact with the company.

    I would fight to bring back Angelina Ballerina and Amelia's Notebooks.

    I would bring back matching outfits for Historicals and Girls.

    ---that's it for now---haha---

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I would bring back matching doll and girl outfits, and Lissie's work dress (I have it, but I feel so bad for everyone who doesn't, lol.). I would introduce a 1986 doll for the 20th anniversary and a Pilgrim doll. I would make a kayak for Kaya. I'd make a new face mold. I'd make a whole set of AGOTs without bangs, and some with curly hair. I would put a thing on the website where you can put any outfit on any doll and see how it looks. I would re-do Elizabeth's meet dress to be three pieces. I would have books written about each of the girls at 13, 16, and 18. And finally, I would do separate catalogs for each collection that you received based on what you buy.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    BRILLIANT POST IDEA!!

    Here goes...

    If I were in charge ?

    I would realize that the AG audience goes way beyond the so-called ?target age?, and that there were girls who are now women who have been collecting most ? if not all ? of their lives.

    I would set up the website with ?retirement hints? ? much like Longaberger does. Perhaps not with a specific date, but a blurb that says ?Hurry ? supplies are limited!? or some other little clue.

    I would refocus the attention on reading and creativity ? it disturbs me that the AGT?s no longer have blank books with them.

    I would reintroduce most, if not all, retired items as ?limited reissues?, or something similar. I realize that Mattel may be unable to continually produce everything indeterminably, but let?s face it ? I think most of us agree something must be done here. Perhaps a poll of some sort ? ?what would you like to see reintroduced?? ? to be sent out periodically.

    I would set up the website to send people who?ve placed orders ? not just club members or megashoppers ? ?opinion poll? emails on a random basis, with of course the option of opting out. I think Mattel needs to realize that not all AG fans are made of money, and that even folks who can only buy the occasional outfit or two are vital and important. And for those who are lucky enough to have a bit more extra dough to spend on AG, it might pull some business off of eBay and raise more cash for Mattel. (Surely these people would gladly pay $200 for a clothes press from AG if it remotely resembled what they were looking for, as opposed to still trolling eBay for one of the retired ones.)

    I would set up a forum/club/group for grownups. This to me is ridiculous because even if the doll recipient is six, SOMEONE of legal age is buying the stuff for them. Why not online chat with the director of marketing or the director of design for AG for us? Mattel just might be shocked when it LEARNS something.

    I would evaluate the quality of what my factories are producing. The American public has had cheap stuff passed off on them for so long that I?d long to be one of the ones that stands out (again, this would have to be made cost-effective, but I find it difficult to believe it can?t be; I?m always convinced that no one bothers to take the time to do it).

    Hey ? a girl can dream, right?

    Thanks for the venting opportunity! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member chrysa1is's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd like to place an American Girl Place in the Southeast, like in Atlanta, or perhaps New Orleans, since that would be South, but still sort of Central.

    I'd like to see a completely new and original Historical doll. This country has a lot of history still not covered. Specifically, I'd like to see an Asian doll, perhaps set in the Trans-Contentental Railroad time period, especially now that there will be a West Coast Store.

    As much as I love the AGOT collection, I agree that I would love to see more of a focus on the books again. Either with the addition of new characters, or more mini arventures for Lindsey, Kailey, and Marisol.

    I'd like to see the GOML come back, with more countries... or at least to have a GOML outfit series for the 18" dolls. Can you imagine Josephine or Marisol in Neela's Sari? Or perhaps Kaya in full eskimo furs? What about an AG release of a traditional Chinese, Japanese, or Korean outfits not just fun dresses with Oriental flavors to them.

    I can't wait to see the bi-racial dolls, but there are soooo many cultures in the US, that I'd like to see more of them represented.

    In addition to traditional outfits, I'd like to see modern cultural outfits. How wonderful would it be for a young muslim girl to feel apart of America by dressing her American girl with a hijab. (( Note: the origin of the hijab is modesty... I speak of a simple and classy scarf-like head dress that some of my muslim friends wear out of respect for themselves and their faith, not the opressive versions some extremists have forced upon some women. ))

    I would like to see a focus to education about our history and our very diverse and wonderful population through books and outfits.

    I too would like to see an improvement in the catalogs with fewer issues mailed out and better pictures and paper. As large as the seperate collections are, I could easily see a seperate book for each, save the HSH series.

    I'd like to see the HSH series expanded upon in dolls, outfits, and books! This is a great series for girls in Kindergarten and First & Second Grade.

    I'd like to see more of the Child and doll outfits for all the collections.

    I'd like to see an Adult Collectors version of the Club. And a book of the entire collection, though I guess it would really be two or three, one for each collection.

    I'd like to see something big for the Anniversary. A 1986 doll would be cool with a Year in perspective book as well as a story book. Can you imagine how much has changed? And yet how much remains the same! Or perhaps a special Anniversary release of the old AG Bear?

    And maybe it's just me and ahving my mom constantly telling me about getting "American Girl magazine" through her scout program in the 50s, but I'd like, if only as a limited edition release, outifts of all the girl scout uniforms, including the daisies, brownies, juniors, and even cadets and seniors. But maybe also versions of the historic versions of the outfits released and perhaps some sort of story to go with it. J. Low would have been in Sam's time period, and I know it was important in Molly's era. So even if just historical uniforms from those two time periods.

    Also... being a computer nerd, I'd like to see educational software developed. I know there used to be some... really need to hit eBay for them, but they could really develop that aspect, even with the girls of today. And what about education focused outfits? WHy not release another laptop accessory set? Or what about a Scientist outfit? Complete with a play lab set for girl and doll?

    Oh my... I could go on forever! But I guess my general thing is take it back to the roots, encouraging reading and education, as well as creativity and imagination.

    Oooo... hows this for an Anniversary special... have a contest letting girls write in essays stating who they want to be the next historical time period and why?

  6. #6
    Evette
    Guest Evette's Avatar

    Lightbulb

    -More AGP's serving many more areas of the
    country

    -Sale items in AGP's

    -African American, Hispanic, and Asian Bitty
    Twins

    -A line of custom made dolls, made to order
    upon buyer specifications

    -New babysitting baby set in more ethnic/race
    baby choices

    -All in all, I love AGP and Ag's. The above is
    "if I was in charge". I [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and accept all
    of what is available.

    "Just can't stop [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ing AG!!! [img]graemlins/girl.gif[/img]

    HEE-HAW!!!!!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd love to see an AGT "adventure doll" as an LE, a doll bound on some terrific adventure (my favorite would be sailing around the world with her family). I'd like to see as a book her journal of the adventure and I'd love to see AG do an interactive web site so that girls (of all ages) could follow along with the trip, learning about geography and different cultures in the process. There could be all sorts of wonderful accessories both sailing oriented (compass, charts, etc.) and souvenirs from different stopping points. That's my dream AG doll. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pajamarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2004
    Posts
    265
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    would reintroduce most, if not all, retired items as ?limited reissues?, or something similar. I realize that Mattel may be unable to continually produce everything indeterminably, but let?s face it ? I think most of us agree something must be done here. Perhaps a poll of some sort ? ?what would you like to see reintroduced?? ? to be sent out periodically
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wouldn't this be great!

    I would love to see what most everyone has stated. I especially would like Felicity's work dress, Josefina's Harvest(PLEASE!), Kirsten's On the Trail Dress, and Kirsten's Dirndl(OH PLEASE!). [img]smile.gif[/img]

    If I ruled AG world all this and more would be mine! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Lea

    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 16, 2005 06:04 PM: Message edited by: pajamarose ]</font>

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Kaileyfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <font color="purple">I would love to see a Elizabeth and Nellie series introduced.You know like Lesson,Birthday,Surprise,Changes, and Saves the day.I would bring back all the limited edition outfits, like Molly's Tennis Outfit, and Felitcity's Town Fair Outfit.I would also make American Girl Places all over the country.It would also be nice if they even opened up a cafe or theater instead of a whole store.I would also expand Nellie's collection.I would also make more today dolls with no bangs and freckles.</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member jamieplus3's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow! This is fun to read! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I am still kind of new to all of this, so my ideas are pretty simple. And most of them you've already covered... [img]smile.gif[/img] But anyway, if I were in charge, I would love to see:

    ~ AGP in the Southeast... Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando or New Orleans would be awesome!

    ~ The return of matching girls' clothes for the historicals.

    ~ A reestablishment of the Hallmark relationship. (I am so sad this has ended just when my girls are getting old enough for AG. I love the AGC stuff I have seen from Hallmark, and have been shopping on Ebay like mad. [img]confused.gif[/img] )

    ~ Advance warning of returements and re-release of popular items periodically... ala Disney with their DVDs and videos.

    ~ An annual catalog with every item in it.

    ~ More books featured in the catalogs, and with more infomation on the contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •